Tuesday, July 29, 2014

True Beauty Starts on the Inside (Or Does It?)

They say that true beauty comes from the inside. I use to agree but after the last several months I've realized this isn't always the case. Sometimes true beauty does start on the outside.

Before you start thinking I'm some superficial, shallow being- hear me out! I've blogged over the past few months regarding the changes I've faced as a new mom, and my desperate attempt to feel like ME again and regain some sense of beauty after being stretched thin, sliced open and left to recover without a very good understanding of what the heck just happened to me!

I've found it difficult to find a balance of being a mother, wife, friend, leader, daughter, sister, aunt, employee (and the list goes on) while simultaneously trying dig deep to the bottom of what is left of just plain old Lori. 

I loved being pregnant. Pregnancy was good to me. I was in AWE of my ever changing body rather than in disgust of it. I liked seeing my body grow, I was amused by how it would stretch to accommodate my growing baby but like I've said before, towards the end, I simply couldn't wait to feel like ME again. I just wanted my body back!

Shortly after giving birth, I realized that not only did I NOT have my body back, I felt more foreign to myself then I had the previous 9 months. Now I still didn’t fit into my clothes, I still didn’t feel normal and I no longer had a cute baby bump to dote on. All that was left was extra skin, extra pounds and lots of stretch marks. My physical limitations after my c-section far exceeded any pregnancy limitations I faced. This left me feeling frail, broken, used and abused.

On top of all this, I had dark circles under my eyes from sleepless nights, my showers were short and to the point, and getting dressed meant wearing anything more than a bathrobe. I spent my days nursing, changing, rocking and repeating. Over, and over again.

 To say I felt unusual would be putting it nicely. I stopped doing my hair, I didn’t have time for makeup, I was just a milk making, baby changing, house cleaning machine.

Then steps in Yvette. One of the most beautiful woman I know both inside and out. She has a passion for bringing out the inner beauty in woman and helping them discover the fabulousness within. She’s one of the most amazing, talented and caring woman I know. Thankfully not only do I call her my hair dresser, I call her my friend.

Yvette helped me reconnect with my inner beauty. She opened my eyes to see that there was life after becoming a mom. She showed me that just because I had less time and more responsibility, does not mean that I give up on myself. She encouraged me to dig deeper,  push harder and wake up earlier! 

Yvette has been such an encouragement over the last year. Helping me to revamp my hair, teaching me new make up techniques, getting me involved with Ipsy (which is my own personal Christmas each month) and motivating me to work hard and shed these unwanted pregnancy pounds.

When I felt my worst, she helped bring out my best. When I felt the ugliest, she showed me how to uncover my beauty, when I was discouraged she reminded me that hard work and dedication would pay off.

Everyone says that true beauty starts on the inside. I use to agree, but now, I couldn’t disagree most. Today, I feel better about myself than I ever have before. I feel more beautiful, more secure and more confident that I have EVER and it didn’t start on the inside. It started from the outside. From a voice of hope to a text of encouragement to personal lessons, tips and advice not just about how I am beautiful, but HOW I can bring it out. She encouraged me and enabled me to maximize my beauty and minimize my flaws. 

I’m thankful that when I felt my worse on the inside, someone stepped in and imparted true beauty from the outside. I’m thankful that what I couldn’t see in myself, she helped highlight for me.

We are all beautiful in our own way, but sometimes we need a little help seeing it. Yvette opened my eyes to see all that I was and rediscover all that I thought had been lost. 

Who are you encouraging today? Who’s beauty can you pull out?

Strength sees strength, insecurities see insecurities. Be a woman (or man) that sees the beauty, strength and potential in others and make it your mission to help them pull it out.

True beauty can start on the outside. I’m proof.


1 comment: