Sunday, August 17, 2014

It's Complicated.

Relationships. They can be fun and rewarding yet challenging and difficult at the very same time. With so many moving components, it's a miracle when two people "click". Different personalities, preferences, life paths, beliefs and history all compile what we call character. Whether it’s between friends, family or a spouse, the merge of two very different people is all but graceful at times.

Over the last several weeks I've been dealing with some relational issues that have all but sucked the life out of me. Situations that have recently occurred combined with situations that have been a long time in the making have made for a melting pot of emotions in my heart and have placed what feels like bricks of thoughts in my mind, literally weighing me down day by day.

Some days are better than others. Sometimes things seem fine, sometimes they don’t. Sometimes I can look things over, sometimes I can’t. Sometimes I feel like I’ve moved on, other times it feels like there is this underlying issue that just keeps surfacing. Some days I let it go, and some days I feel like I can't take it anymore. "Am I crazy?" I ask myself. "Is it all in my head?" I wonder. Thoughts of all sorts blocking, clogging and congesting my mind.

When will it end?

I've come to the realization that some things cannot be prayed away. Some things cannot be dismissed. Some things cannot be overlooked. Some things simply need to be addressed. Head on, with love and truth. It’s only through confrontation that there is an opportunity to learn, grow, mature and move on.

I get it, life is complicated. Relationships are complicated. You never want to hurt someone. You never want to offend someone. This makes it much easier to just minimize and move on that to confront and change things.

But what purpose does that serve anyone? How does that help anything to just "let things go". Don't get me wrong, not ever battle is worth fighting in, but sometimes, battles need to be fought. Words need to be said and things have got to change.

Honestly is the best policy. Right? Then why is it the most overlooked component to relationship? Since when did it become better to ignore an issue? Since when did it become better to “pretend” everything is OK? Since when did ignoring the elephant in the room cause the elephant to disappear? Since when did suppression in the name of "keeping the peace" become healthy?

I’ve come to realization that some things just need to be dealt with. And if that means losing everything, I have to ask myself, "If I lose everything over the truth, was it ever worth having?" After all, who wants to live a life or engage in relationships based solely on lies?

If living a lie is what I need to do to "keep it", in my opinion, it was never worth having in the first place. Speaking the truth may be difficult, but swallowing a lie, day after day is harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment