Monday, June 17, 2013

Straight Ahead

As I was sitting in my hospital room today, a storm began to roll in. I was looking out the window and suddenly the clear blue sky was being taken over by the storm coming in from the right.

I took like 20 pictures, trying to capture the beauty of this moment & as I snapped away all I could hear in my heart was "Do not look to the left or to the right, but fix your eyes on Jesus the author and finisher of your faith."

My heart literally smiled. This illustration reminded of how crazy and unpredictable life can be. One moment it's sunshine & butterflies, and the next, it's storm clouds & thunder...

It reminded me of the power of perspective and the importance of looking at situations from a distance, across it's entirety, rather then close up with limitations.

If I looked out of my window to the left I would have see nothing but clear skies and sunshine, if I looked out to the right, I would have only seen storm clouds and darkness falling over the city. Although both perspectives were technically true depending on where you stood, neither would give me a completely accurate evaluation of what was happening.

It reminded me of life. How many times do we look to the left or to the right & whether what we see is good or bad, we still only see a portion of the perspective.

Looking straight out my window I thought to myself, there will be good days, and there will be bad days, but the most important thing is that I look forward, straight ahead, always knowing the Son in right in the middle of the two. Jesus brings me balance. Jesus brings me joy in the good days and positive perspective for the bad days.

As easy as it might be to look to either side, my heart it set heavenward, looking straight ahead to the one who is the author AND finisher of my faith, Jesus.

Let your eyes look right on [with fixed purpose], and let your gaze be straight before you. Consider well the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established and ordered aright. Turn not aside to the right hand or to the left; remove your foot from evil.
Proverbs 4:25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment