Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Knowledge v Wisdom

Anyone who knows me well, knows I do two things, A LOT..
 
1. Think

2. Talk

I find myself sometimes over thinking and then just blurting out my feelings, thoughts or opinions randomly or unnecessarily. Sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong but most times I could have just been quiet either way.
I guess one thing that really frustrates me more than it probably should, is knowing that something is “wrong” and just looking past it, ignoring it or acting like it never happened. It literally burns inside of me until I get it out. This could be a good thing, or a bad thing. I guess it really depends on who you ask and when you ask them.
I’m learning more each day that just because I think it, doesn’t mean I have to say it. Just because I’m “right” or justified doesn’t mean I need to blurt it. Some things are meant for private pondering, not public broadcasting.
It’s true: knowledge is knowing what to say, but wisdom knows when to say it.
Lately I find myself writing out long text messages, emails or Facebook post, getting all my thoughts out and then clicking “cancel” because I know it’s just not worth it. I’ll think something over and over in my head and then ultimately, just leave it there. I’ve realized is nothing worse than regretting something you’ve said. Once words are spoken, they are gone. Forever. There is no taking them back, and no matter what your intent, sometimes, they just take on a life of their own.
I’ve become more aware lately of what I say, and to whom I say it to. It’s one thing to speak, but if your words have no end purpose, what’s the point? If nothing good will come of them, if they will make no difference, better yet, if they will make no positive impact, why say them?
If you’re not using your words to build, then you’re using them to destroy. If you’re not using your words for edification, you’re using them for deformation. Whether it be a person, place or thing, your words can be used for building up or breaking down. Choose them wisely.
Not every thought is meant to be shared; my prayer is that I would become quick to listen, slow to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment